The article about the top ten Bear names got me thinking this week. What are the all time great Bears "nicknames" throughout our storied history? There are many great ones so let's see if we can try to narrow it down to just ten. First, let's start with some honorable mentions: "LA Mike" Richardson, "Woody" Donnell Wollford, "A-Train" Anthony Thomas, "Bulldog" Turner, "Sackman" Richard Dent, "Danimal" Dan Hampton, "Hitman" Gary Fencik, Craig "Iron Head" Heyward, "Double D" Dave Duerson, "Momma's Boy" Otis Wilson, and the "Windy City Flyer" Devin Hester..and let's not forget the nickame of "Bust" of which the list is too long to write out especially in the last 5 years..Now on to the Top ten!
10. Ed " The Claw " Sprinkle - One of the greatest pass rushers of his era (1950's) per George Halas.
9. Noah "Buddha" Jackson - A rotund guard who led the way in Payton's infancy stages.
8. James "Big Cat" Williams - A very large man who made himself into a very good tackle for many years.
7. "Fridge" William Perry - Burst on to the scene in 1985 and became larger than life.
6. "Samurai" Mike Singletary - Legendary middle linebacker who led the 1985 SB defense
5. "Kansas Comet" Gale Sayers - Maybe the greatest open field runner the NFL has ever seen.
4. "Galloping Ghost" Red Grange - Helped get the NFL on the MAP
3. "Iron Mike" Ditka - Da Coach is a living legend and embodies what the Bears are all about.
2. "Sweetness" Walter Payton - Revered among all football fans our greatest player ever. Period.
1. "Papa Bear" George Halas - If it wasn't for him, most of you would be actually working right now instead of reading this..
Who else am I missing???