Let's consider the kind of game the Bears just won right now. It was a game where...
- The Bears forced a Cam Newton fumble at the goal line, but Carolina recovered it for a touchdown.
- The Panthers kicked five field goals, when entering, they had two field goals all season.
- The Bears allowed the Panthers to convert 10-19 on third down.
- The Panthers picked up six sacks on the Bears in the first half alone; none in the second half.
- Entering the fourth quarter, the Bears were trailing 19-7.
- The worst and oddest of all those: Robbie Gould missed a field goal...
Matt Forte kicked off the Bears' scoring in the first quarter with a 13-yard touchdown run, but Carolina answered back with a Cam Newton touchdown ru... fumble in the end zone recovered by Louis Murphy. The Panthers threatened several more times throughout the game, tacking on field goals, and the Bears' offense couldn't respond at all. Earl Bennett finally gave the Bears a little offensive rhythm late in the third quarter, and the Bears finally tacked on a score with Kellen Davis' second touchdown catch of the season. The Panthers' next offensive play also scored for the Bears, as Tim Jennings capitalized on Steve Smith slipping on a route and took an interception for a touchdown, the team's sixth of the year, setting a record and taking the lead, 20-19. The Panthers started driving in the fourth quarter towards the end zone...
But Gould got a chance to atone for his mistake after the Panthers were stalled and forced to kick their fifth field goal with two and a half minutes left in the game, more than enough time for a surging Jay Cutler, who had struggled the first three quarters, to drive the Bears into Panthers' territory and set up Gould's winner.
We'll have Scribbles for you in the morning. For now, enjoy the win that it seemed would never come.
Jay Cutler: 19/28, 186 yards, TD, INT - 83.3 QB Rating
Matt Forte: 15 carries, 70 yards, TD; 5 receptions, 24 yards
Brandon Marshall: 9 receptions, 98 yards
Kellen Davis: 1 reception, 12 yards, TD
Earl Bennett: 3 receptions, 47 yards
Cam Newton: 20/39, 314 yards, 2 INT - 57.0 QB Rating
Jonathan Stewart: 17 carries, 42 yards; 4 receptions, 38 yards
DeAngelo Williams: 5 carries, 37 yards
Steve Smith: 7 receptions, 118 yards
Brandon LaFell: 3 receptions, 88 yards
Greg Hardy: 3 sacks
Charles Johnson: 2 sacks