It's been interesting reading all the various takes on the murder / suicide that rocked the Kansas City Chiefs, the NFL, and the world of sports over the weekend. Stories about whether to play the game or not were the first I started seeing.
My thought on that, is the only ones to make that determination should be the Chiefs themselves. I can't even fathom the emotions in having to play or coach a game a day after having that happen to someone you are so close with, but I can understand the release of playing the game for those involved.
The next group of stories I started reading were about wanting to make sure that the victim of domestic violence that lost her life wasn't forgotten. It's important that his girlfriend and their young baby are remembered.
It's sad to say, but I wasn't even surprised to read articles that touched on the fantasy football impact the tragedy would have. Some of the tasteless jokes that were being shot out via twitter covered this very subject. I expect the idiotic ramblings from some of the jackasses that tweet, but that wasn't even the worst thing I read over the weekend.
It was just moments after the names of the deceased were officially released, and I was already reading how the sports of football was to blame for the horrific act. I thought the entire article was in poor taste.
One things for sure, the violence from Saturday morning once again gave some perspective to the sports world.
Please remember that there are ways to get help if you don't feel like you can talk to a friend or a family member.
1-800-799-SAFE (7233), or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY). Advocates who are Deaf are available Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PST) by videophone (855-812-1001), instant messenger (DeafHotline) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
No matter what problems you are struggling with, hurting yourself isn't the answer. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to talk to a counselor at a Lifeline crisis center near you.
On to my NFL Thoughts...
3) Adrian Peterson is a freak of nature. There's really no other explanation for his recovery time.
5) The Eagles are reeling after suffering their 8th straight loss, but they may have something with rookie running back Bryce Brown. He looked very good last night going for 168 yards and 2 TD, just a week after popping off 178 rushing yards and 2 TD.
6) I think after winning the AFC West last year with Tim Tebow under center, it was a foregone conclusion that they would win it again this year with Peyton Manning at QB.
9) I've been banging the drum for Seattle QB Russell Wilson all season, he's a very solid young player. Good arm, very athletic, and mature beyond his years. In an impressive year for rookie QBs, Wilson is leaving his mark
10) I tweeted something out similar to this sentiment yesterday; Here's how Bears' fans felt the last three weeks. After the 49ers game, many fans thought the season was over. After the Vikings game it was all about being back in first place. Then after yesterday it was all about firing Lovie. The NFL is a week to week league...
The Bears are still in control of their destiny. They win the next two weeks, they are back in 1st place in the NFC North.