In the wake of Johnny Knox's contract being terminated, let's take a look at the current wide receivers under contract.
It wasn't too much of a surprise to hear that the Chicago Bears had terminated the contract of Johnny Knox (LINK), but where does that leave the roster before Free Agency begins? The current list of wide receivers:
- Joe Anderson (6'1, 196, 2nd year)
- Earl Bennett (6'0, 205, 6th year)
- Devin Hester (5'11, 190, 8th year)
- Alshon Jeffery (6'3, 215, 2nd year)
- Brandon Marshall (6'4, 230, 8th year)
- Eric Weems (5'9, 195, 7th year)
- Brittan Golden (6'0, 185, 2nd year)
- Dale Moss (6'3, 215, 2nd year)
- Terrence Toliver (6'5, 205, 2nd year)
With Devin Hester's future in Chicago up in the air, you have to expect Marshall, Bennett, and Jeffery being the top-3 if the season started today. That would be okay, but this year's class of free agents has some names that will turn the heads of a lot of teams.
We recently threw out the possibility of looking at West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin, and feelings at that point were mixed. Might opinions differ at this point?
I mentioned this in a tweet earlier, but one guy to keep an eye on is Toliver. He's a big guy with good speed (4.5 40 yard dash), and could benefit from having to fight for a roster spot. He had big-play potential while playing for LSU, but was often a victim of a poor passing game, and went undrafted last season.
That's the current state of affairs... Do you think the Bears need to take a look at free agency and/or the draft to address the WR position, or are we good enough there to focus on other areas?