1) Ryan Clady, the Denver Broncos starting left tackle, still hasn't signed his franchise tender, and will not attend their voluntary workout program that starts today. I wonder if Peyton Manning is getting a little nervous?
2) In other left tackle news, the Kansas City Chiefs are now willing to trade Brandon Albert for a 2nd round pick. That's just crazy in my opinion. If I'm a LT needy team that doesn't snag one of the top prospects in the draft, I'm going after Albert.
3) I really liked the Seattle Seahawks signing of Antoine Winfield. At his age, sliding into the nickle role will be perfect for him, and his skill set is a great fit for the position. If Russell Wilson can avoid a sophomore slump the Seahawks will be tough to beat.
4) Having an NFL team overseas, possibly in London, is still something that appears to be in the plans. From a financial standpoint it does makes sense to expand globally, I just don't know how they'll attract free agents to move to the UK.
5) Faith Hill will no longer be singing the Sunday Night Football opening number. Here are my early odds for the new Waiting All Day for Sunday Night singer. Miranda Lambert 2/1, Kelly Clarkson 4/1, Gwen Stefani 5/1, Pitbull 10/1, Fergie 15/1, Taylor Swift 25/1, Rihanna 50/1. Who ya got?
6) For those of you that are hoping your team can draft the talented Tyrann Mathieu, I hope you realize that he's failed so many drug tests that he's lost count. "I quit counting at 10. I really don't know."
I can't say with 100% certainty, but this at least gets him in the team picture for dumbest draft prospects ever.
7) Also in that team pic, whoever trashed their hotel at the NFL Combine. Reports say one of the culprits is a potential first rounder. You're on the most important job interview of your life, and you go all "rock star" on the hotel room. Dumb doesn't even begin to describe this.
8) One more in the dumb athlete news department, former Chicago Bears wide out Sam Hurd is looking at 10 years in jail. Does Hurd make a top 10 list of worst free agent signings in Chicago Bears history? There's a solid idea for a post...
9) Now that the Patriots lost out on the Steelers' restricted free agent receiver Emmanuel Sanders, my guess is they'll be targeting a wide receiver in the draft. They pick at 29 in the first round, and it would not surprise me to see them be aggressive in their pursuit for their guy. Their need for a WR may be good news if the Bears do want to trade down. With Tavon Austin expected to go no later than the Rams at 16, the Vikings at 23 is the next logical spot for a WR to be drafted, so NE may look to move in front of that pick to get their guy.
10) There sure is a lot of buzz surrounding the Chicago Bears and a 1st round tight end. Some speculate it could be a bunch of B.S. to entice teams to move in front of the Bears to snag a TE, others believe that having two dynamic TEs would open up a lot of good west coast offense stuff for Marc Trestman.
In Dan Pompei's latest mock draft, from the Chicago Tribune, he has the Bears going with Notre Dame TE, Tyler Eifert.
If Ogletree is gone, they could go for Eifert's college teammate Manti Te'o. Tight end isn't a need, but Eifert would make the offense better.
Ogletree is gone in his mock, but he has Washington CB Desmond Trufant going at #21. I believe that CB is a bigger need than TE, and I believe that Trufant would be higher on Phil Emery's draft board. But the idea of Eifert would be exciting.
Eifert is also the mocked pick to the Bears in the latest SBN mock draft.
The Bears may have added Martellus Bennett in free agency, but the team could still double up at the position in one offseason. Eifert is athletic enough to line up outside the tackle box and fast enough to stretch the seam. He's a good value with the 20th pick as well.
Unlike the mock in the Tribune, this mock has Ogletree available, and he has Trufant falling out of the first round.
The more I see various mocks falling, the more I really hope the Chicago Bears can find a partner to trade down.
Here are the members of the Windy City Gridiron Mock Draft Hall Of Shame (Those that signed up for the mock draft, yet failed to show up for their pick): wanderingwayne, Cutler6fan8, Suffering fr Chi Sports, boydvv54
We'll forgive you some day...