A big thanks to Kev for tackling the Ten Thoughts last week for me.
1) Hopefully all the Dads out there had a great fathers day. And just in case you missed it, the Harbaugh brothers compete to see who calls Dad fist to wish him a happy Father's Day. Is this a thing? Do any of you siblings compete like this?
Now if they can only figure out who'll be throwing him the ball...
3) New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski is set to have his second back surgery this off season, after having several surgeries on his forearm this off season as well. Considering his physical style of play, I wonder if he'll ever be the same player, or if he'll ever play again?
4) Recently retired Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver had a street and a statue dedicated to him over the weekend. Initially I didn't think his career was special enough to warrant such honors, so I did a little digging. I knew he made a few Pro Bowls (3 to be exact) and had a Super Bowl ring, but I didn't realize he was the Packers all time leading receiver in yards and catches, and 37th all time in the NFL for receptions and receiving yards. Not too shabby...
5) There was a large contingent of fans that believed Manti Te'o had bust written all over him, but early word from San Diego tabs him as a player that "gets it", and his play all spring is drawing "rave reviews". He looks to be a day one starter in the NFL.
6) Another rookie that is really "playing well" is Arizona defensive back Tyrann Mathieu. After missing all of last year because he couldn't say no to drugs, he's now drawing comparisons to Troy Polamalu. While it's still very early in his professional career, maybe he's grown up. Sometimes all a player needs is a little jolt of reality to get themselves straightened out.
7) Chad Johnson has been freed from jail after apologizing for his court room butt slap. Now he can go back to being an unemployed media whore.
His attorney said this about his client, "He understands that this is the kind of situation that can derail a person's career,".
Psst... His career has been derailed for some time now.
8) The Cincinnati Bengals are heading back to HBOs Hard Knocks. I really hope the Chicago Bears are the feature team for this show one of these years. I would love to see the inner-workings of Halas Hall.
9) Buzz is starting up about Devin Hester being a potential cut. Unless his salary is desperately needed for someone this season, and he is seriously outplayed, I just don't see any reason to spring him. What do you think about this?
10) Matt Williamson of ESPN.com, made the following statement when looking at the "major question facing each team in the NFC North as summer break looms";
I am having a tough time finding holes in Chicago's roster right now
He still went with O-Line as the Bears biggest question mark, but he believes the Bears did enough to improve the unit since last season.
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Matt Williamson, but when was the last time a national NFL analyst heaped that kind of praise of the Bears?
More From Windy City Gridiron: