Martellus Bennett set career highs across the board last season in New York. After playing as the #2 tight end in Dallas, the Giants added him as a free agent to be their top TE in 2012. His 55 catches, 626 yards, and 5 touchdowns last year aren't considered elite receiving numbers for a tight end, but when you factor in the other aspect of his job, blocking, you understand why some consider him a top flight tight end.
The last time Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler had an honest to goodness receiving threat at tight end, he built a very good rapport with Greg Olsen. That is until Mike Martz decided the position was irrelevant.
In 2009 while running the Ron Turner version of the West Coast Offense, Olsen went for 60 receptions, 612 yards, and 8 TDs. He was Cutler's top target that year, and even while running the Martzfense in 2010, Olsen still had 41, 404, and 5.
In Cutler's two years starting all 16 games for Denver, his TEs accounted for over 70 receptions each season, and both those seasons saw Brandon Marshall go over 100 receptions.
So for those of you that are afraid that Cutler would still do nothing but force feed his pal Marshall, that should ease your concern. The 2013 season could very well be the most pass happy in team history, so there will be plenty of balls to go around.
The bottom line is, Jay Cutler will utilize his tight end. And when the tight end is as big, strong, athletic, and as fast as Martellus Bennett, we can expect Bennett to flirt with setting career highs across the board again.
If somehow Bennett isn't able to play, the depth behind him is untested. There is some raw talent and a bit of potential in the group, but no track record of NFL success.
If Bennett can fit into the offense like most assume he will, this will be an exciting season.
More from Windy City Gridiron:
- The 10 Most Important Bears of 2013 - #10 The Middle Linebackers
- The 10 Most Important Bears of 2013 - #9 Corey Wootton
- Franchise QBs: Stafford, Cutler and the teams they're married to
- Henry Melton will play under the franchise tag in 2013
- The Bears Den: July 15, 2013 - Offseason news and notes
- Have the Bears Already Made Their Decision on Cutler?
- Joe DeCamillis Picking Up Where Dave Toub Left Off
- Book Review: "Sports Illustrated For Kids Big Book Of Who: Football"