1) There is some potentially huge news coming out of Denver. Linebacker, and pass rusher extraordinaire, Von Miller is facing a four game suspension. Normally losing one player is something a team can overcome, but Miller is one of the absolute best in getting to the quarterback. The Broncos' are many experts pick to represent the AFC, so this could slow their run to the Super Bowl. Drugs are bad...
2) That collective "DUH" we all heard over the weekend was Ron Jaworski naming the Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers as his best QB. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL. Jaworski's annual QB rankings has become good off season fodder, and my only question about his list is having Joe Flacco at #4. I would have had him closer to eight.
4) I've gone on record in predicting that Andy Reid's new team, the Kansas City Chiefs, will be a surprise playoff team in 2013, but I'm also excited to see how his old team will do. I can't wait to see how head coach Chip Kelly will run the Philadelphia Eagles offense.
More From WCG: Who is your surprise playoff team in 2013?
5) The 49ers traded for troubled corner Eric Wright last week, and it didn't take long for some fans to call out San Fran head coach Jim Harbaugh for being a hypocrite. If you remember Harbaugh had some harsh words about the Seahawks players that were busted for using Adderall. One of Wright's infractions, a suspension for using Adderall.
Editor: Wright failed his physical and will revert back to the Bucs. See Tweet below.
6) Jadeveon Clowney, who will possibly be the top pick in the next NFL Draft, made some boastful comments last week. Usually when a college player says something that comes across as arrogant or cocky, there's a media backlash, but with Clowney's comments there wasn't the usual uproar. I think this stems from the fact that most people agree with his boasts. Some scouts describe Clowney as a 'meaner, nastier' version of Julius Peppers.
7) Robert Griffin III has been given the 'all clear' to begin practicing. It'll be interesting to see how the Redskins work him in through training camp and the preseason. I know the QB position isn't as physically demanding as other positions, but RGIII has the potential to be an all time great. I hope they are more careful with him than they were when allowing him to play during the post season on a bum knee.
8) It looks like the NFL will go forward with HGH testing, and players will be giving a blood sample as training camps open. The actual testing is still a year or so off, but this is a positive step to clean up the game.
9) Legendary Bears middle linebacker Dick Butkus is planning to honor youth sports volunteers and coaches. As someone that coached youth football for a few years, and understands the dedication and time it takes to do so, I think this a really cool idea.
10) The consensus over/under I'm seeing for Chicago Bears wins by the bookmakers is 8.5. Which way would you lay your money? I'm taking the over.
More from Windy City Gridiron:
- The 10 Most Important Bears of 2013 - #3 Mel Tucker
- The Bears Den: July 22, 2013 - Offseason news and notes
- Cutler Still Has Plenty to Play For in 2013
- Which Non-Headline Bear Needs to Have a Great Season?
- The Chicago Bears' Most Pivotal Games of 2013
- Matt Forte's Exclusion from the "300 Carry Club" is Warranted