1) San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick was spotted over the holiday wearing a Miami Dolphins hat. Needless to say, many of the Niner faithful were pissed. I can see the hullabaloo over his choice of headgear, it's like a Pepsi executive wearing a Coke hat, but this is sports. He was a fan of NFL fashion before he was drafted, and he'll be one long after his playing days are over. See below for the pic that started the fashion frenzy, and you can click here to see his response.
It's not like he was wearing one of San Frans rivals hats. Just Imagine the uproar if he was rocking a Seattle Seahawks cap. That might be crossing the line.
More from WCG: Is the NFC North the NFL's Toughest Division?
3) It's become in vogue to predict that the New England Patriots, a team that has made the playoffs 10 of the last 12 years, will struggle to return to the post season in 2013. I don't buy it. As long as they have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, they'll be in the mix.
4) Sticking with the Patriots, you may have heard that their former tight end Aaron Hernandez is in jail. Well, besides being locked up on a murder charge, he would also like to get married. Bristol County (Mass.) Sheriff Thomas Hodgson had this little nugget for Hernandez, and it applies to most criminals. "If you want to get married, what you do is, you stay out of jail."
That's some sound advice right there.
5) If the NFL bans academically ineligible players from the scouting combine, then someone will just hold another combine for those that can't get good grades.
More from WCG: NFL Considering Prohibiting Ineligible Athletes from Combine
7) ESPN analyst and former NFL QB Ron Jaworski is running down the starting QBs in the league, and his #16 signal caller is Matthew Stafford. As can be expected, many Detroit Lions fans disagree. I tend to lump Stafford with the average group of quarterbacks, and 16 seems about right.
8) It sounds like the Packers are ready to start thinking about retiring the #4 of Brett Favre. The plan is to do it before his inevitable induction to the Pro Football Hal Of Fame in 2016. I would love to see the Packers retire his jersey on a Monday Nighter against the Bears, with the wind howling and the rain pouring down, while the Bears are shutting out the Pack. That only seems fitting.
More from WCG: Who's on your NFC North All Pro Team?
9) I'm excited to see what Michael Bush can bring to the table if he can play without a fractured bone in his shoulder. He's not as good a West Coast Offense fit like Matt Forte, but he has good enough hands to be a viable threat in the flat on checkdowns.
10) The deadline for franchised players to sign a long term deal is one week from today. Anyone else find it odd that we haven't heard much about the Henry Melton situation?
More from WCG: Confidence Check: Defensive tackles
I have two bonus non NFL Thoughts this week.
a) Anderson Silva is a clown.
b) Dwight Howard is a tool.