1) Apparently Luke Kuechly is the best middle linebacker in the game now after his last half of a preseason game.
The play that garnered the most hype was his "unblockable" moment when his hit caused a fumble from Baltimore's Bernard Pierce. It was a very good play, but if fullback Vonta Leach does his job, the play never happens. Leach should be looking inside/out as he leads his tailback to the hole.
"I love Ray, and I love how he always spoke from the heart, but if you listened to those speeches, a lot of them didn't even make sense. He meant everything he was saying, but I didn't know what he was talking about 90 percent of the time."
This just proves that what you say isn't as important as long as you have some fire and passion in your voice. #Meatball'd
I wonder if Joe's comments will alienate any of the holdover defenders on that team?
3) If Tim Tebow can't even get on the field in a 40-9 preseason loss, I'd say he better start getting his resume together.
4) A few teams with poor quarterback play, and/or depth issues, that should be interested in Timmy, the Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills, and the New York Jets. Who has the worst QB situation among these teams? My vote is for the comically bad J-E-T-S.
5) Speaking of QBs, did you see Washington Redskins 3rd stringer Rex Grossman go off after getting the start? He went 11-21, 171 yards, and a TD. And did you realize this is Rexy's 10th year in the NFL?
But Hawkins' actions weren't the stupidest thing done in San Fran over the weekend. There were multiple fan-on-the-field incidents at Candlestick Park. Check out our sister site Niners Nation, for GIFs of those idiots.
What would prompt someone to want to run on the field at a professional sporting event?
7) And speaking of idiots...
Why have Mark Sanchez in the game during the 4th quarter?
8) It's good for New Orleans that head coach Sean Payton is back, but since he's not bringing a new defense with him, I'd still expect the Saints to miss the playoffs.
9) I think the rookie class of the Chicago Bears is looking very good. There's a real chance every draft pick, and a couple undrafted rookies, will make the final 53 man roster. They may have a few undrafted rookies find their way to the Chicago practice squad too.
10) I mentioned this on Twitter over the weekend, (follow me @wiltfongjr btw), but I wanted to share it here too. I've always thought Matt Forte would thrive in a West Coast Offense that utilized a zone blocking scheme. His pass catching skills are top notch, and he's always seemed to me like a good one cut and go runner. With an athletic line in front of him, and Marc Tretsman calling plays, I would expect him to add another Pro Bowl to his resume.
More from Windy City Gridiron:
- OSS: The Nightcrawler
- 2013 Stats over/under: Julius Peppers
- The Bears Den: August 26, 2013 - Preseason news and notes
- Has the Preseason Changed Your Opinion of the 2013 Bears?
- Bears' Six-Pack Keys to Victory: Preseason Week 4, Cleveland Browns
- 2013 Bears Roster Cuts: Bears Roster Down to 76; Aromashodu, Miller Among Cuts