The injury bug that is making its way around the NFL made another visit to the Chicago Bears today. Starting nickle back, and primary back up corner Kelvin Hayden, will require surgery to repair his torn hamstring.
Second year pro Isaiah Frey has been taking the nickle reps at camp, and the next man up on the outside at corner will probably be Zack Bowman.
Frey has had a very good camp, but he's very short on experience. He spent last year on the practice squad after being a 6th round draft pick from Nevada. Bowman appeared in 11 games last year for the Bears, and he has 16 total starts in his 5 year career.
Don't be surprised to see the Bears actively peruse a defensive back, either by checking into a street free agent, or eyeing the waiver wire once teams start trimming their rosters.
The Chicago defense also took a season ending hit early in training camp by losing defensive end Turk McBride to a torn Achilles.
More from Windy City Gridiron:
- Pleased to Meet You: Preseason Week 1, Carolina Panthers
- Chicago Bears 2013 Position Battles: Defensive End
- Chicago Bears Training Camp: 8/7 Practice Recap
- Chicago Bears Training Camp: August 07 Open Thread
- The Bears Den: August 07, 2013 - Training Camp news and notes
- 2013 Stats over/under: Charles Tillman