We are still awaiting official announcement from the team, but multiple outlets are reporting that Louisville DL coach Clint Hurtt has been hired by the Chicago Bears as an assistant coach (presumably working with the DL in some capacity). Late last night, the team announced Paul Pasqualoni had been hired as DL coach.
2001-02: Miami (Fla.) (Volunteer Strength and Conditioning)
2003-04: Miami (Fla.) (Graduate Assistant)
2005: FIU (Defensive Line)
2006: Miami (Fla.) (Defensive Line)
2007-09: Miami (Fla.) (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
2010-13: Louisville (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
Bowl Games Coached
2003: BCS National Championship
2006: MPC Computers
2010: Beef `O'Brady's
• Established himself as one of the nation's top recruiters, putting the Cardinals on the national scene with five stellar recruiting classes
• Named Top 50 Recruiter by 247 Sports
• The 2011 class was the best in the history of the school, ranking 22nd by ESPN.com, 29th by Rivals.com and 33rd by Scout.com. Hurtt was recognized by ESPN.com as the National Recruiter of the Year in 2011
• Continues to develop young talent on the defensive line, including Marcus Smith, who has 9.5 sacks in the last two seasons
• In 2011, the Cardinals finished 21st in the nation in sacks and 22nd in tackles for loss, as the Cardinals ranked 10th in the nation against the run with a 100.54 average
• Helped the Cardinals finish sixth in the nation in sacks and 29th in tackles for loss after the Cardinals were ranked 58th and 63rd, respectively, in 2009 -- the year prior to Hurrt's arrival
• Hurtt signed the top recruiting class in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2008 and 2009, while with the Hurricanes.
• Signed the No. 1 recruiting class in the country in 2008, according to ESPN.com. • The 2009 class was ranked in the top 10 in the country as six of the signees were ranked in the ESPN.com Top 150.
• Hurtt tutored some of the top young defensive line athletes in the country in 2008, including freshmen Marcus Robinson and Marcus Forston, who earned Freshman All-America honors that season.
• In 2007, the Miami defensive line featured Arizona Cardinals' second-round selection Calais Campbell. Campbell ranked third on the team with 85 tackles from his defensive end spot. UM's defensive line recorded 27.5 sacks while the Hurricane defense led the ACC.
• The 2006 Hurricanes' defense set a school record for allowing the fewest rushing yards in a season -- 67.9 yards per game, breaking the previous mark of 69.1 yards per game set in 1989.
While in Miami, Coach Hurtt was involved in some recruiting activity with a booster that led to him being penalized, but Louisville retained him as a coach despite the sanctions. They viewed it as a young coach who made a mistake, but had enough remorse and upside-potential that they decided to let him stay on staff.
Some people wondered if Hurtt would follow Charlie Strong to the University of Texas, but due to penalties imposed, he was unable to take any new position with the NCAA until after the 2014 season.
It's also worth mentioning that Hurtt was recently involved in some social media controversy over a Facebook post that was targeted at rival Kentucky. The post was deleted four hours later, and the smoke eventually cleared.
"Alright I had some idiot Kentucky fan say to me we need to get ready for the Wildcats because their young players got better because they play in the SEC ..." Hurtt posted to his public Facebook account. "I said correction you don't play in the SEC you just participate. You only play when you actually WIN."
Previously, Mike Phair was the Bears DL coach for three seasons (two under Lovie Smith and one under Marc Trestman). Phair was fired earlier this month after an historically poor performance by the defense, but was quickly hired by Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay as their DL coach.
What are your thoughts on yet another addition to the defensive staff? For Louisville fans' reaction to this hire, click HERE.
- Chicago Bears 2014 Roster Turnover: Wide Receiver
- Whose team did the five Chicago Bears Pro Bowl players end up on?
- Chicago Bears add two coaches to defensive staff
- NFL would be wise to eliminate extra point kicks, create incentives for on-field "gambling"
- The Bears Den: January 23, 2014 - Chicago Bears news & notes