clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dolphins would have released Brandon Marshall

New, comments
HONOLULU, HI - JANUARY 29:  Brandon Marshall #19 of the Miami Dolphins carries the ball for a touchdown during the 2012 NFL Pro Bowl against the NFC at Aloha Stadium on January 29, 2012 in Honolulu, Hawaii.  (Photo by Kent Nishimura/Getty Images)
HONOLULU, HI - JANUARY 29: Brandon Marshall #19 of the Miami Dolphins carries the ball for a touchdown during the 2012 NFL Pro Bowl against the NFC at Aloha Stadium on January 29, 2012 in Honolulu, Hawaii. (Photo by Kent Nishimura/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Highway Robbery... Biggest Steal of Free Agency... just a couple of the names that headlined the Chicago Bears recent trade acquisition of Brandon Marshall. According to Izzy Gould of the Sun Sentinal, had the Bears not traded for the pro bowl wide receiver, the Miami Dolphins would have cut him outright.

The article states that Dolphins' owner Steve Ross contacted Jason Lawrence, a season ticket holder for more than 20 years, to explain what was going on with the franchise.

Lawrence said he asked about the decision to trade leading wide receiver Marshall to Chicago for two third-round draft picks. Twice, Lawrence said, Ross would not say if the Dolphins were rebuilding. He told Lawrence moving Marshall was not about money, but more about protecting team morale.

"[Ross] said they had been shopping [Marhsall] for a couple weeks," Lawrence said. "Nobody would return their phone calls about getting him. If Chicago didn't take [Marshall] … they would have ended up cutting him very shortly after that, and got nothing."

This may just be an owner trying to save face to a season ticket holder, but it does help put a light on why the Bears were able to get Marshall at such a low price. If true, does this change your opinion of the trade, our new GM, or the player in question?