1) If you missed the "hit of the year' candidate from Sunday Night Football enjoy the GIF below. And no it was not an illegal hit.
That was Indianapolis Colts punter Pat McAfee sticking Denver kick returner Trindon Holiday.
Would you believe that McAfee is now summoned by the NFL office for a "random" PED test?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Guys... Make one random tackle... And end up on a "Random" steroid test.. Must be my bod <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UpperBodyOfAnAdolescent&src=hash">#UpperBodyOfAnAdolescent</a> <a href="http://t.co/s9B7LrS89Y">pic.twitter.com/s9B7LrS89Y</a></p>— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/statuses/392314989395988480">October 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
2) One more thought from that game and I'll move on, but Peyton Manning sticking around after the loss to hug and shake hands with so many Colt employees was such a classy move on his part.
You may dislike him based off all the media coverage, but that stuff isn't his fault. He's not a media whore looking to get his name out there. He's just a great guy that happens to be really great at football, it's no wonder the media fawns over him like they do.
3) Playing Josh Freeman at QB so soon after acquiring him was a terrible decision by Minnesota head coach Leslie Frazier. An even worse decision was allowing him to throw the ball 53 times, while only giving the ball to the best back in the game, Adrian Peterson, 13 times.
4) Why was the St. Louis at Carolina game so chippy? Is there some history between these two teams that I'm not aware of, or is it just Rams head coach Jeff Fisher, being Jeff Fisher?
Ron Rivera has that Panthers D playing some good football, if Cam Newton and that offense can keep making strides, they could be a dark horse come playoff time.
5) Did you know that Ryan Mathews and Chris Ivory were the only two 100 yard rushers last week? That hasn't happened since week 10 of 2001, when Ricky Williams and Duce Staley did it.
6) I know the New England Patriots are 5-2, but they sure don't seem like the same team. I wonder if this is the year their stranglehold on the AFC East loosens.
8) Is the best team in the NFL the Kansas City Chiefs? They had a solid defense last year, they add an offensive minded head coach, and voilà! Undefeated after seven games. I had similar hopes for a certain city by a certain lake...
9) Defending the read option isn't that complicated from a coaching standpoint. The problem arises in having the players follow through and actually stay true to their fundamentals. At yesterday's press conference, Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman said his defense only played the read option correctly 2 of 10 attempts. That's not on defensive coordinator Mel Tucker, it's on the players.
10) For those of you wondering about Matt Blanchard's chances on rejoining the Bears, the injury settlement he agreed to this preseason prevents him from coming back until after week 10. He could come back to finish the season on the practice squad since he's still unsigned, so we'll have to wait and see.
I know some of you still believe he's the future QB for the Bears.
More from Windy City Gridiron:
- NFL Power Rankings: Chicago Bears dropping down again
- Chicago Bears vs. Washington Redskins report card
- The Bears Den: October 22, 2013 - Week 8 news and notes
- Chicago Bears Injury Update
- Chicago Bears press conference recap
- Chicago Bears snap count breakdown vs the Washington Redskins
- Chicago Bears pumpkin templates: Downloadable and Free!