The Chicago Bears had mini-camp practice #2 today in the Walter Payton Center to avoid the crazy Chicagoland weather, and after practice defensive coordinator Mel Tucker met the media. Here are a few nuggets from Tucker via Twitter.
- Bears first-year DC Mel Tucker on defense's philosophy: "It's all about taking the ball away and getting to the quarterback."
- Bears DC Mel Tucker on defensive players: "They play fast, they play physical and they play that way because they practice that way."
- Bears DC Tucker on Shea McClellin: "He's athletic. He's got pass rush ability. He's very conscientious about getting better each day."
That philosophy should sound awfully familiar to Bears fans.
Mayer also addressed who the Bears were lining up along the offensive line in his chalk talk section.
1LT - Jermon Bushrod, 1LG James Brown, 1C Roberto Garza, 1RG Matt Slauson, 1RT J'Marcus Webb. Brown and Slauson were getting reps at both first team guard spots. Gabe Carimi was filling in at both guard spots with the second team, and he did see a handful of reps as a back up right tackle.
Here are a few nuggets from Tucker, head coach Marc Trestman, and special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis via Zach Zaidman;
- Shea McClellin says he's added 5-7 pounds of muscle since last offseason.
- Mel Tucker on Shea McClellin's playing time in 2013: "He'll get what he earns."
- Mel Tucker says Bears are essentially running the same defense as last year, including using the same terminology.
- Joe DeCamillis on Devin Hester: "He'll be working on all the cover teams and he'll also be working some other things for us too."
- "He's in a great frame of mind right now," said Joe DeCamillis of Devin Hester. "We want to get him back to where he was."
- Marc Trestman on D.J. Williams: "He's very noticeable out there in practice."
- Marc Trestman on Bears defense: "We've got a good group of guys. It's very apparent they're not only fast, they're smart."
- Marc Trestman says Bears had just one mental error on defense and one or two on offense on the first day of voluntary minicamp Tuesday.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Bears">#Bears</a> avoided the rain by practicing inside the Walter Payton Center on the second day of voluntary minicamp: <a href="http://t.co/pmkGj4aOTn" title="http://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/324603623642394624/photo/1">twitter.com/ZachZaidman/st…</a></p>— Zach Zaidman (@ZachZaidman) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/324603623642394624">April 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
It looks like I'll have to dig out some tape on Devin Hester tackling from his time at the U.
What do you think Bears fans, the team is two days in to the three day mini-camp, and I'm just fired up there's actual football being practiced.