1) There are a number of draft gurus that are now wavering on Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel going number one. Eric Fisher of Central Michigan looks very good on tape, and may be the better athlete. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these players.
2) If you were a NFL GM, would you take a chance on a 21 year old guy, that is 6'6", 303 pounds, with a vertical leap of 35 inches and a 4.78 40 yard dash? Oh did I mention he's never played football, but he is an Olympic Athlete and a former rugby player. With physical tools and an athletic dedication like that, how can you not?
3) With so many teams acquiring quarterbacks, the buzz around the NFL Draft has Geno Smith and his fellow QB draft-mates dropping. I don't buy it. Geno is going top 10. In my latest mock I have him going #4 to the Eagles.
4) A couple weeks ago we talked about the ridiculous expectations being put of Robert Griffin III while he rehabs his knee. In my opinion his doctor was making some unethical claims about his recovery time. Now it's Washibgton Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan's turn to speak up about his star QBs recovery.
"He's over at the facility, rehabbing all of the time. He'll set a record for coming back because that's how hard he works,"
Isn't this the same guy that kept RGIII in the playoff game when he was clearly laboring? Now he's laid out his expectations for #theotherreturn.
5) The drama surrounding the Johnny Unitas movie has got to be the silliest thing I've seen in the last week. Joe Flacco is cast as Unitas, and one of his sons and grandson are livid about the casting choice. According to SBN, this role isn't nearly as meaty as Denzel Washington in Remember The .
Fans won't get to see Flacco reading script on camera though. Sorry. He's only going to play Unitas under the helmet in the 1958 Championship Game.
A theatrical release isn't guaranteed just yet.
Unitas Jr. and his kid are getting all riled up over a non speaking part in an NFL Films production. Talk about embarrassing.
6) In movie news about a movie that people will actually see, Kevin Costner will be at the NFL Draft filming scenes for Draft Day, in which he plays the GM of the Cleveland Browns trying to trade up to #1.
7) JaMarcus Russell has dropped 30 pounds and is looking for a NFL QB gig. I don't see him getting picked up any time soon.
8) Do you think Devin Hester will get his swagger back? For the record, I do.
9) For those of you that are keeping tabs on the Chicago Bears salary cap space, here's the latest number taken directly from the NFLPA, $4,156,995.
10) Now for those of you wondering why the Bears haven't restructured anyone this off season, that's because they haven't had to. The Bears managed to add all their new players without mortgaging future cap space. Having a number of players playing on their last year is a very good thing. Besides the cap flexibility this gives Phil Emery in 2014, there should also be a sense of urgency as guys are playing for their NFL lives.