1) As mentioned in today's Bears Den, NFL.com gave their top six rivalries for 2013, and number one on their list was the San Francisco 49ers vs. the Seattle Seahawks. Yeah, I know... In the last 10 years the Niners and Seahawks have shared a winning record in only one season, last year. The last time these two teams met, Seattle won 42-13. If that doesn't scream great rivalry I don't know what does...
2) For some reason I think the New York Jets will open up week one with Geno Smith as their starting QB.
3) Titus Young needs professional help.
4) Noted offensive line coach Alex Gibbs is back with the Denver Broncos, this time as an o-line consultant. His knowledge of the zone blocking scheme is second to none, and in my opinion, his stamp on the Bronco offense will be a boon for their run game, and the play action mastery of Peyton Manning.
5) How was Trent Richardson voted at #71 in the NFL Network's Top 100 players list? The Cleveland Browns running back may end up a top tier player, but his rookie year of 2012 wasn't enough to warrant inclusion in the list. His 51 receptions were very good for a running back, but he didn't crack 1,000 yards on the ground, and his average per rush was a mere 3.6 per attempt. Based off his 2012, he isn't one of the top 100 players in the NFL.
6) One more thought on the NFL Top 100 list, Detroit Lions QB Matt Stafford fell down to #76, and that places him as the 13th QB on the list. Some of the QBs sure to be listed are no-brainers, but if Stafford's sub-80 QB rating landed him on this list, I wonder what other QBs made it. Is Andy Dalton a top 100 player? Russell Wilson? Robert Griffin III?
I'm not suggesting that Stafford isn't a top 15 type QB, I just think too much emphasis is given to the QB position on this list. A player that may not even be top 10 at his position probably shouldn't be included in a top 100 overall players list.
7) When Ronde Barber announced his retirement, I didn't realize just how good of a career he had. His last game was his 215th straight start, which is the 6th longest streak in NFL history. He had 28 sacks, 47 interceptions, 15 forced fumbles, 12 fumble recoveries, and 12 defensive touchdowns.
8) Kudos to WCG's own Sam Householder, who predicted that Carrie Underwood would be the new singer for the Sunday Night Football theme song.
9) I can't believe how many Chicago Bears fans were upset that #1 draft pick Kyle Long was lining up mostly at right guard during the rookie mini camp. Right guard, left guard, as long as he can win a starting job I don't care.
10) That QB helmet-can that Bears head coach Marc Trestman put on Matt Blanchard's helmet is getting some national publicity, and it got me to thinking, when was the last time "Innovation" and "Chicago Bears" were used in the same sentence?
My guess it was probably a long time ago, and it had something to do with this;
We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation, with your T formation.
More from Windy City Gridiron: