Sedrick Ellis' unexpected and untimely retirement may have left a bad taste in Bears' fans mouths, but at least it won't cost the team any signing bonus money.
According to Brad Biggs, the Bears are getting back the entire sum of Ellis' signing bonus of $285,000. $215,000.00 of his initially-guaranteed half-million would have come from his base salary, but due to the retirement, the Bears will eventually get that all back. It'll be credited back in 2014.
But in addition to that, there's still a couple other camp notes to go through...
- Jermon Bushrod is impressed with Julius Peppers. To say the least.
- Bushrod's also optimistic with how the offensive line will turn out.
- Color me crazy, I think this whole Kyle Long thing might work out. I wasn't opposed to the Long pick at all - I've always been a believer in "Get Your Guy" - but over the last three sessions, I've been pretty impressed with the kid.
- The pace of camp has been something that's taken some getting used to. Imagine being a player in it.
- A few hours ago I mentioned the Marquess Wilson/Joe Anderson/Eric Weems trifecta... And I suppose you could include Devin Hester, though if he's no longer on the receiver side of the equation, do you count him in the defensive backs? And if so, who gets bumped to make room for a returner-only player?
- It's good to see Jay Cutler getting some of the other receivers involved in practices. I understand that getting the ball to your best receiver is good (read: Brandon Marshall) and that said receiver can get the ball even when he's covered (read: Marshall). But it's also nice when others can get involved and be productive, and make the offense that much more unpredictable. Cutler's footwork has also been much improved this camp, but that does need to carry over into the regular season.
- Ironically, linebackers haven't been much of a focus at camp. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.
Bushrod on Peppers: "He’s intense every year. I’ve played him every year since I’ve been in the league. He brings it. He will make you pay."— Brad Biggs (@BradBiggs) July 28, 2013
#Bears LT Jermon Bushrod: "It’s not always the prettiest sight when you come out here on the 1st day of pads. We got better every rep."— Brad Biggs (@BradBiggs) July 28, 2013