The Bears announced a few coaching decisions today, but not one that a lot of fans wanted to hear.
They announced Mel Tucker will be returning as defensive coordinator in 2014, but released defensive line coach Mike Phair and linebackers coach Tim Tibesar.
Phair was a defensive line assistant under the Lovie Smith regime, and promoted to defensive line coach when Rod Marinelli was hired by the Dallas Cowboys. Tibesar was hired as linebackers coach from the Montreal Alouettes, where he worked under Marc Trestman before Trestman came to Chicago.
The Bears finished in the bottom of the league defensively, particularly in points allowed, yardage allowed, rush yardage allowed, and sacks. Injuries to Lance Briggs, Henry Melton, Nate Collins, and D.J. Williams decimated the defensive front seven and forced the team's hand into playing Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene before they were ready as well as playing Landon Cohen and signing Jeremiah Ratliff, and forcing Corey Wootton into the interior and playing Shea McClellin more.
- The Bears Den: January 13, 2014 - Chicago Bears news & notes
- Three Chicago Bears appear on the 2013 All Disappointment Team from SBN
- NFL Playoffs: Divisional Round Schedule - Which teams have a Chicago connection and whom are you rooting for?
- OSS: Bears Bricked - Brandon Marshall & Alshon Jeffery
- Fire Lovie Smith - Again
- Should the Chicago Bears bring back Charles Tillman?