When the Chicago Bears hire a new general manager and head coach, they'll have a new situation to deal with. As reported by ESPN's Michael C. Wright and Jeff Dickerson, Bears cornerback Tim Jennings has been arrested.
. @ESPNChiBears & I reporting Tim Jennings arrested on speeding, DUI, reckless driving charges in Gwinnett County, Ga. $2,705 in total bonds— Michael C. Wright (@mikecwright) January 7, 2015
Kevin Fishbain from ChicagoFootball.com has the booking info from Gwinnett County Detention Center.
Per @mikecwright and @ESPNChiBears report on Tim Jennings, charges from Gwinnett County Detention Center pic.twitter.com/fTcqE7zMx0— Kevin Fishbain (@kfishbain) January 7, 2015
If you remember, Jennings was given a four year contract extension by former general manager Phil Emery right after the 2013 season. He's set to make $5,250,000 for the 2015 season, so the new regime will need to decide how to proceed with Jennings.
Jennings had a down season in 2014 after making two consecutive Pro Bowls. He did play in all 16 games, but he left a handful of them with minor injuries. After having 9 picks in his breakout 2012 season, he had 4 last year and none this year.
Georgia authorities confirm arrest of #bears Jennings. Team, Jennings nor agent responded for comment @NBCChicago pic.twitter.com/o8xOvaiuCx— Peggy Kusinski (@peggykusinski) January 7, 2015
Peggy Kusinski of NBC Chicago is reporting the following about Jennings' arrest;
NFL Sources say #Bears CB Tim Jennings did not fail a breathalyzer test today in his DUI arrest. The test was not administered and according to sources Jennings was late for his child's student teacher conference at school and was speeding to get there on time.
Here's another UPDATE:
Tim Jennings has taken to social media to address his arrest.
I do apologize for speeding, but DUI?? That's not me!! Sorry for speeding guys!— Tim Jennings (@HennOrJenn26) January 8, 2015
Here's more from the Sun Times' Jordan Owen.
- Police report says Tim Jennings told police he was running late and had somewhere to be. The officer told him he was driving recklessly.
- Jennings "smiled, laughed and said that he was only speeding and in a hurry," acc. to the report. The officer smelled alcohol an his breath.
- Jennings told told police he had been drinking the night before and had stopped about 2 a.m. (10 hours earlier.)
- Jennings told police he was speeding because he needed to get to a parent-teacher conference for his 2-year-old, according to the report.
- The officer brought out an alcohol sensor and Jennings said, "I am not blowing into that damn thing."
- On the way to the jail, Tim Jennings made comments about "driving a nice car" and "being a target," acc. to the report.
We'll update more as the story unfolds...