The Chicago Bears are hoping to add to their Pro Bowl legacy at inside linebacker with the signing of Danny Trevathan, formerly of the Denver Broncos (first reported by Adam Schefter). Through his first four years as a pro, the soon to be 26 year old has started 32 of the 50 games he's appeared in. He's yet to make a Pro Bowl roster, but he's about to be paid like a Pro Bowl talent. For the Bears' sake, Trevathan needs to come in and establish his presence on Chicago's D from day 1.
He didn't receive any starts as a rookie (239 snaps on defense and 250 on special teams) and his 2014 season was shortened by a fractured knee cap (only 99 snaps on D), but in 2013 he started all 16 games. That season he had 129 tackles, 2 sacks, 10 passes defended, 3 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. His 2015 season had him only missing one game (15 starts), with 109 tackles, 6 passes defended and 2 interceptions (1TD).
Trevathan played on a very talented defense in Denver, but in Chicago he'll be one of the centerpieces for defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to build around. His size (6'1", 240) and athleticism leads me to believe he'll be lining up at the Jack ILB spot for the Bears, meaning they still need to address the Mike ILB.
Follow all Chicago Bears Free Agency updates HERE.
From the Bears press release:
- Listed at 6-1, 240-pounds, Trevathan has appeared in 50 games with 32 starts over four seasons (2012-15) with the Broncos, recording 275 tackles, three sacks, 11 tackles for losses, five interceptions, 18 pass break-ups, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
- Trevathan has led the Broncos in tackles, according to press box statistics, in two of the last three seasons with 109 total tackles in 2015 and 125 tackles in 2013.
- His five interceptions have all come in the last three seasons, ranking tied for sixth in the NFL among linebackers during that time. His 16 pass break-ups since 2013 are tied for 11th amongst NFL linebackers.
- He was one-of-eight linebackers last season with at least 100 tackles and two interceptions and one-of-seven linebackers in 2013 with at least 120 tackles and three interceptions.
- NFL Linebackers with 100 tackles & 2 INTs in 2015 : Danny Trevathan, Denver | Preston Brown, Buffalo | Karlos Dansby, Cleveland | Lavonte David, Tampa Bay | Thomas Davis, Carolina | Derrick Johnson, Kansas City | Luke Kuechly, Carolina | Paul Posluszny, Jacksonville