When the Chicago Bears started the day, they were picking in the top-3rd of the 2nd round. Then they traded back a few spots to secure an extra 4th round pick, and then traded back AGAIN for yet another 4th.
After settling in on the 56th slot, they chose offensive tackle/ guard Cody Whitehair from Kansas State.
Whitehair is projected as an NFL left guard, which is interesting because they already have several guards on the roster. Whitehair is 6'4", 301 pounds, and is considered by many to be nearly ready to start in the NFL.
He has great awareness, is very smart, and can hold his own against the meanest on the inside.
According to Pro Football Focus, he was the top-rated OT in 2015.
What he does best:
• Strongest hands in the class. If he locks in, he's not losing control of the block
• Always plays under control. Rarely over extends himself
• Runs like an athlete. Capable finding linebackers in space
• Extremely patient in pass protection. Trusts his own abilities
• Won two-thirds of his one-on-one reps at guard in Senior Bowl practices, good for second-best rate
• Played in extremely varied run scheme at Kansas State that asked him to execute a variety of different blocks
Chicago Bears draft so far:
- 1st Round: LB Leonard Floyd (LINK)
- 2nd Round: OL Cody Whitehair