With NFL rosters being chipped and chopped down to the final 53 players today, many eyes will be shifting to each club's Practice Team-- that group of young players that didn't quite make the roster, but that the team wanted to keep around for the season to see how they will develop. Best case scenario, just like being called up from the minor leagues in baseball, is that the player gets a shot during the season and gets called up to the team's 53-man roster.
Here are the basic rules to be eligible for the Practice Team, courtesy of Blogging the Boys:
- Each NFL team can have up to 10 players on its practice squad.
- Practice squad players ... practice with the team. They do not play in games.
- Not all players are eligible to be signed to NFL practice squads.
- Practice squad players are paid per week and can be released at any point during the season.
- Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, but they have to be signed to the 53-man active roster of the acquiring team. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.
- A practice squad player can not sign with his team's upcoming opponent, unless he does so six days before the upcoming game or 10 days if his team is currently on a bye week.
- If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, he will receive a minimum of three weekly paychecks, even if he is released before spending three weeks with the new team.
- In order to be signed to a practice squad after being released, a player must first clear waivers, and is subject to waiver claims by other teams
Here is the list of Chicago Bears players that could be signed to the Practice Squad:
Quarterback: David Fales*
Running backs: Ka'Deem Carey*, Senorise Perry*, Paul Lasike
Tight ends: Khari Lee*, Greg Scruggs*, Ben Braunecker, Gannon Sinclair
Wide receivers: Cameron Meredith*, Daniel Braverman, B.J. Daniels*, Derek Keaton, Kieren Duncan, Darrin Peterson
Offensive linemen: Khaled Homes*, Jason Waver, John Kling
Defensive linemen: Ego Ferguson*, Will Sutton*, Terry Williams, Marquis Jackson
Linebackers: Christian Jones*, Jonathan Anderson*, John Timu*, Lamin Barrow*, Danny Mason, Jarrett Grace
Defensive backs: Bryce Callahan*, Demontre Hurst*, De'Vante Bausby, Jacoby Glenn, Taveze Calhoun, Kevin Peterson, Joel Ross, DeAndre Houston-Carson
*Players designated with asterisks have accrued seasons, meaning the Bears can only keep up to four of them on their practice squad.