Good morning. Welcome back to Bears football.
Of course, for the Bears that means an opening game against the defending class of the NFC, the Atlanta Falcons. You know, the squad that everybody makes those silly “The Falcons Blew a 25-Point Lead” memes about.
Kyle Shanahan is gone, having left to take over the horrendously ill-fated Besaid Aurouchs— I mean the San Francisco 49ers. In his place Steve Sarkisian steps up to take command of an offense led by the devastating Matt Ryan/Julio Jones combination that matched up for 1,409 yards of passing offense last year. Let’s further illustrate with the fact that they led the league in net yards per pass attempt last year.
For the Navy and Orange, last year they were a three-win squad - but last year is just that, or at least they hope so. Kevin White looks to stay healthy for more than 5 games this year. Leonard Floyd wants to put together a full season of putting quarterbacks to the turf. And the Bears want to get away from last year’s record as fast as possible with a win against a strong NFC contender.
Welcome to Week 1. Feels pretty good to say that.
LAST NIGHT: Bears Extend Akiem Hicks (Infante)
- Ryan Pace Approval Rating
- WCG Predicts the Season (And Bears/Falcons)
- 2017 is Everyone’s Year (Zeglinski)
- Offensive Outlook (Wiltfong)
- Player Trade Value in 2017 (Sunderbruch)
- Injury Report
- What to Watch For (Link)
- Infante Joins the Falcoholic, Preview (Infante)
- Week 1 Preview: Bears - Falcons (Householder)
- WCG Radio, Ep 10: Bears - Falcons (Zeglinski)
- Game Info, TV, Streaming, Odds, Etc! (Wiltfong)
- Five Questions: Bears Side (Jeff Berckes) | Falcons Side (Dave Choate, The Falcoholic)
- Computer Looks At Numbers, Has Bears to Win
TRU-BACKUP-SKY: Trubisky Named QB2
The Best/Worst of Your Life: My Favorite/Least Favorite Bears-Falcons Games (Silverstein)
A reminder of how gameday procedures go around here. The kickoff thread goes live at noon CT, when the game starts, with subsequent threads popping up as the game goes on, so our threads don’t clutter and slow down. We’ll have a quick recap of the game as soon as it ends with the open threads for the later rounds coming up as well. Monday we’ll have Robert running Scribbles, Jacob looking at the young players, and all our analysis and thoughts as the week progresses.
With all the propers out of the way, for the first time this season, Bear Down!
Of course, it wouldn’t be complete around here without our WCG Sunday Livestream, the Unofficial Pre-Game Show of Windy City Gridiron. At 9:30 AM CT this window down below will light up and you’ll have me and Sam and anybody else who joins us taking your comments and questions as we preview the season and upcoming game against the Falcons.
(Disclaimer: This Livestream is run on an embedded personal-use Twitch account for the purpose of operating a live discussion of Bears football between 9:30 AM CT and 11:30 AM CT, although we reserve the right to branch out as necessary and not stick to sports. Viewing this page at a time outside the aforementioned time period does not guarantee that football will be the topic of discussion, although we will do our best to archive a VOD of the WCG Sunday Livestream for purposes of posting here. Outside of the aforementioned times, any demands or expectations will be met with a swift and dismissive wave of the hand.)
With the (admittedly mostly tongue-in-cheek) disclaimer out of the way, let’s get into how you can get in touch with us:
- By commenting in the comment sections of the commentary that is this comment-driven website. If you haven’t noticed, we love your comments. Down there.
- Over on the Twitch side, over here.
- Over on our Twitters. We like taking your Tweets as questions and comments (and occasional technical support... don’t ask...). I’m at @SJS_illini. Sam’s at @SamHouseholder.
We’ll be live at 9:30 AM CT. See you then...