It’s funny what a franchise leader can do when unshackled by the constrains of a lame duck head coach.
Many (hopefully) figured that Bears’ general manager Ryan Pace would be much more aggressive in his team building philosophies following the ouster of John Fox. That having a modern and aggressive hand-picked head coach in Matt Nagy would change Pace’s vision and timeline. Until evidence showed otherwise, though, it was wishful thinking.
Enter Allen Robinson and company in last week’s major waves of free agency. Over the course of a few days, Pace went and turned the Bears’ skill position weakness into a major strength and put the Bears back on a fast track towards relevancy. A redemptive story for much of Chicago’s class and Pace, who seems to really believe the Bears are but a few pieces away from contending.
To break down what this free agency period meant for the Bears, Windy City Gridiron lead editor Lester Wiltfong Jr. joined me for a helping hand. What does all this spending say about the Bears’ pending title window? How do they feel about Mitchell Trubisky? We delve into these topics and more. Then we finally jump to the draft and rest of the off-season.
On this episode of WCG Radio
Windy City Gridiron Editor-In-Chief, Lester Wiltfong Jr., helps analyze what the Bears’ aggressive foray into 2018’s free agency means for Chicago’s immediate and long term future.
- Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Trey Burton, Cody Parkey, Chase Daniel: quite the haul for Pace and the Bears. What do these acquisitions say about the last three years in Chicago?
- The Bears’ title window has opened and it’s time to take advantage of the light breeze.
- Each new free agent fit and what they will mean to the Bears on and off the field.
- The Kyle Fuller offer sheet Packers’ drama.
- What does this free agency say about what the Bears think of Trubisky?
- Thoughts (a bit optimistic perhaps?) on where the Bears now stand for the 2018 season.
- ”We’re onto the draft”: reviewing what else Chicago needs to do this off-season to be competitive (Tremaine Edmunds hype!)
Robert Zeglinski is the Bears beat writer for the Rock River Times, an editor for Windy City Gridiron and Inside The Pylon, and a contributor to Pro Football Weekly and The Athletic Chicago. You can follow him on Twitter @RobertZeglinski.