Young quarterback drafted in the top 10? Check.
Mike Glennon somehow in the picture? Check.
Biding your time for a season or two before aiming to compete again with that same quarterback? Check.
They’re not totally identical, but the similarities between the 2018 Cardinals and 2017 Bears are eerie. Overall, they paint a picture of an NFL that is following the model that the Eagles and Rams have instituted. Mitchell Trubisky is the Bears’ piece in that regard, while Josh Rosen fits in for the Cardinals. Arizona may or not be rebuilding, but at least they know their identity and framework to compete. Much like the Bears do with Matt Nagy in the fold as coach now.
To help break down all of the developments from Arizona’s 2018 off-season, Revenge of the Birds’ Blake Murphy joined me on the latest WCG Radio. When should Rosen be expected to start? Can Arizona still compete in the NFC West? Why is Mike Glennon the highest-paid third string quarterback in football? We get down to the bottom of these questions and more: especially with the Bears visiting the Cardinals in Week 3 of the upcoming season.
On this episode of WCG Radio
Blake Murphy of SB Nation’s Revenge of the Birds hops on the latest WCG Radio to give the scoop on the 2018 Cardinals.
- What’s went wrong for Arizona since playing in the 2015 NFC Championship Game?
- How much will the Cardinals miss Bruce Arians, and do you have any regrets from his tenure?
- Steve Wilks takes over, with Josh Rosen as the future at QB (or Mike Glennon!). How long before Rosen actually plays?
- Christian Kirk’s March arrest: what’s the lowdown (Honey Badger comparisons?)
- The Cardinals are still hanging their hats on their defense: getting a sense of why
- Whether the Cardinals are in a full-fledged rebuild, or retooling
- Arizona’s plan and timeline to get back to relevancy (similar framework of the Bears)
- Free agency recap in one word: “stopgap”
- Draft recap in one word: “hopeful”
- How the Cardinals now match up with the Bears (hint: Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman can have a field day)
- Least impressive athletic thing you’ve ever done that you’re proud of
Robert Zeglinski is the Bears beat writer for The Rock River Times, an editor for Windy City Gridiron and Inside The Pylon, and is a contributor to Pro Football Weekly and The Athletic Chicago. You can follow him on Twitter @RobertZeglinski.