In 2015, Adam Gase coordinated the most efficient season of Jay Cutler’s career as the quarterback enjoyed a 92.3 passer rating with the Bears. Following the season, he promptly snatched up a head coaching opportunity with the Miami Dolphins. After Gase’s departure, the Bears were saddled with Dowell Loggains - the epitome of inconsistency and stubborn game planning- for the next two seasons before overhauling their entire coaching staff.
So, as the Bears enter a new era with hopeful offensive innovation under Matt Nagy, it’s fitting they receive an opportunity at “revenge” over Gase and Loggains at the same time almost immediately. This refers to Loggains now coordinating Gase’s offense in Miami with the Bears set to visit Hard Rock Stadium in October.
Will Loggains actually veer away from a run-run-pass ratio against Chicago? Will Nagy crack under the incredible pressure of attempting to surpass his offensive predecessors? The suspense is unbearable!
On the latest WCG Radio, I spoke with Kevin Nogle, managing editor of SB Nation’s The Phinsider, to get the lowdown on the Dolphins’ 2018 off-season, and to preview this Chicago-Miami matchup. How is Ryan Tannehill looking following recovery from an ACL injury? Can Mitchell Trubisky and company exploit the Dolphins’ defensive back end? Is the beaming Florida sun going to melt the Bears into the field? We touch on these subjects and more.
On this episode of WCG Radio
The Phinsider’s Kevin Nogle hops on the show to preview Bears-Dolphins and break down Miami’s off-season.
- Ryan Tannehill’s progress from a knee injury
- Musing fondly about Jay Cutler and of course: Dowell Loggains
- Should the Dolphins have taken a quarterback high in this year’s draft?
- A make-or-break season for Adam Gase: discussing his expectations thus far
- A weird off-season of spending defines the Dolphins in 2018: what’s the plan?
- Albert Wilson and slot receiver galore in free agency
- Mike Gesicki and an abundance of weapons for Tannehill in the draft
- Bears-Dolphins preview: where can Chicago exploit Miami (Allen Robinson, hello again) and vice-versa (Florida weather being unkind)?
- A debate about the greatest summer movie of all time (it’s Independence Day, okay?)
Robert Zeglinski is the Bears beat writer for The Rock River Times, an editor for Windy City Gridiron and Inside The Pylon, and is a contributor to Pro Football Weekly and The Athletic Chicago. You can follow him on Twitter @RobertZeglinski.