This is the first offseason in a while where if you look at the Chicago Bears’ roster, you could honestly say, ‘this team can line up tomorrow and compete with anyone.’ I’m not saying there aren’t any holes, but most of the key players are under contract for 2019 and in the few spots that aren’t, the Bears have capable backups ready to fill in.
But with that being said, I did ask our lead draft analyst, EJ Snyder, to give me his top needs for this Bears team and we spent a solid half an hour talking about NFL Draft and undrafted free agent prospects on my latest T Formation Podcast. We mixed in some other stuff too, so here’s a basic outline of the show.
- Right now there are two podcasts on the WCG channel (Go subscribe now!), mine and Robert Schmitz’s Bear With Me, but there’s a third on the horizon and EJ tells us all about it.
- A Mitchell Trubisky assessment.
- Talking developmental QB including Brett Rypien of Boise State and Gardner Minshew from Washington State Cougars.
- We talk kickers and I go on a Ryan Pace/Robbie Gould rant.
- Safety discussion including will Adrian Amos return? Could Deon Bush fill in? EJ mentions Jaquan Johnson of Miami and Marquise Blair of Utah as prospects that could fit with the Bears.
- Cornerback prospects including Joejuan Williams of Vanderbilt and Rock Ya-Sin of Temple are discussed, as well as Bryce Callahan’s possible return.
- Running back chatter about Jordan Howard, Kareem Hunt, and prospects Devin Singletary of FAU and Elijah Holyfield of Georgia.
- EJ had inside linebacker as a need because they have two players coming out of contract after the 2019 season.
Give the show a listen right here and let us know what you think!