We’re doing our grades a little different this year at WCG. Reason being, neither I nor our Senior Draft Analyst EJ Snyder thinks that giving a player an arbitrary letter grade before he’s stepped onto the field is a fair way to gauge a prospects potential.
Grades are still a wildly popular way to look at draft prospects, so we’ll still be asking you guys to give us your grade for each pick. So with that being said how would you grade the Chicago Bears second pick in the 2nd-round, Jaylon Johnson, cornerback, Utah?
How would you grade the Bears pick of Jaylon Johnson with the 5th overall selection?
This poll is closed
But as for our official WCG grade for each selection the Chicago Bears make in the 2020 NFL Draft, EJ wanted to have a more detailed way to measure the potential he sees in each prospect, so his methodology is as follows.
He’ll be giving out points in these three categories on a 1-10 scale.
- Player Skills: How much pure talent/skill/production do they have?
- Scheme Fit/Potential: What might they do based on where they landed?
- Draft Value: Were they a value draft-wise where they were picked? Could the team have waited and done OK?
EJ’s Grades for Jaylon Johnson
- Player Skills = 8: He’s a long, physical corner who moves well and can press and plays the ball in space. Aggressive and will tackle on the edge which is key in the Bears system. Has to develop in off-zone coverage but his ability to jam and mirror down the boundary will fit perfectly in Chuck Pagano’s system.
- Scheme Fit/Potential = 7: Johnson has all the physical traits and play style to smoothly transition to start in Chicago as a replacement for Prince Amukamara. Pagano will LOVE his traits, and his potential is terrific for the Bears role for him.
- Draft Value = 8: Really didn’t think Jaylon Johnson was going to make it out of round one. A player of his demonstrated ability and potential usually doesn’t. This is a solid value draft pick.
For even more on Jaylon Johnson, check out this mini-podcast from Robert Schmitz and his two special guests, our Lead Draft Analyst Jacob Infante and our Senior Draft Analyst EJ Snyder!