With NFL teams all cut down the mandated 53-man roster size, the next task for each team is to compile their 16-man practice squad. Most of these players will be from each team’s recent wave of cuts, but with 6 veterans of unlimited experience being allowed to be on each practice squad there may be more surprises than usual.
Once the waived players go through waivers — which ends today at 11:00 a.m Central — teams will then be able to start assembling their 2020 practice squads starting at Noon Central time.
Veterans that have more than four accrued seasons do not go through waivers and can sign immediately.
Also keep in mind that we’ll start to hear about players signing with various teams on social media through either them of their agents, but nothing is officially official until the player signs a contract with their new team. Each year there are some players that announce they’re signing with one team, but then a better offer comes around and they change their minds.
We’ll track all the Chicago Bears related rumors in this tracker right here and once the team announces their official 2020 practice squad we’ll share that as well.
Since there were some changes to the 2020 practice squad rules with the new CBA, and due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, you can scroll down past the tracker for a bullet point snap shot of what’s happening this year.
Bears 2020 Practice Squad Rumor Tracker:
At the end of this article we’ll list the players that are reported to be on the Bears’ practice squad.
12:40 p.m. - QB Josh Rosen, a name mentioned by Bears fans quite a bit, has signed with the Buccaneers.
11:48 a.m. - Patrick Finley has the Bears signing rookie Lachavious Simmons.
11:28 a.m. - Biggs also had the Bears adding o-lineman Badara Traore.
11:00 a.m. - In a string of Tweets, Brad Biggs reports that the Bears are expected to sign Stephen Denmark and Cairo Santos to the practice squad, and that they do not expect to sign Kevin Toliver II.
2020 Practice Squad Rules
- Teams can have 16 players on each practice squad.
- Up to 4 players with no more than two accrued seasons.
- Up to 6 players have no limitations on accrued seasons.
- Four players can be protected each week from being lured away by another team.
- The other practice squad players are free agents able to sign with any team, but if signed away they must be placed on their new teams active roster immediately.
- Two players can be promoted to the active roster each week which means a 55-man weekly roster. Those two players can be sent back to the practice squad without having to pass through waivers. Players can make this move two times each.
- If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster to take the place of a player going on the COVID-19 reserve list, that player can revert back to the practice squad without going through waivers.
- Game day rosters are increased to 47 this year with a 48th allowed to be active players as long as they have 8 active offensive linemen.
- Players that go on injured reserve can return to the team after three weeks. (This is a COVID-19 rule that gives teams more flexibility for the 2020 season)
Chicago Bears Practice Squad
- DL - Abdullah Anderson
- ILB - Rashad Smith
- DB - Xavier Crawford
- DB - Stephen Denmark
- DL - LaCale London
- K - Cairo Santos
- OL - Lachavious Simmons
- OL - Badara Traore
- OL - Sam Mustipher
- OL - Jamon Brown
- RB - Artavis Pierce
- TE - Jesper Horsted
- WR - Thomas Ives
- WR - Reggie Davis
- WR - Rodney Adams
- QB - Tyler Bray