There were a few news worthy nuggets that came out today regarding the Chicago Bears, with the biggest one being them requesting to interview Indianapolis Colts defensive backs coach Jonathan Gannon for their vacant defensive coordinator position. With the new rule allowing position coaches to leave for coordinator jobs, even if they’re still under contract, the request is just a formality.
Check out our full story about this right here.
* The Bears have also requested permission to interview Dallas Cowboys senior defensive assistant George Edwards for their coordinator job. Prior to the 2020 season, the 54-year old Edwards was the Vikings defensive coordinator from 2014-2019, and he’s been coaching in the NFL since 1998.
More info right here.
* EDIT: On Tuesday it was reported that the Bears met with James Betcher for their open D.C. position. Link to our article right here.
* In other Bears news, assistant coach Henry Burris told Ottawa’s CTV that head coach Matt Nagy intends to bring him back for the 2021 season. “As far as what my role will be, I’ll find that out in the upcoming days, possibly by the end of the week,” Burris said. “Now it’s just kind of sitting on the side and waiting. But more importantly, coach told me when we got off the phone, ‘Go be a dad and enjoy time with your family, and we’ll talk soon and we’ll get things set up for the future.’”
Burris was a member of the Bears offseason coaching staff thanks to the Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship, but the Bears liked the job Burris did so much they asked him to join the offensive staff for the entire 2020 season.
* The Los Angeles Chargers are hiring Rams’ defensive coordinator Brandon Staley as their head coach, and that puts Chicago defensive line coach Jay Rodger as a candidate to join the Chargers as their defensive coordinator.
* Former Bears linebacker Sam Acho Tweeted out his pick for the Bears next D.C.
The Bears don’t have to look far for their next DC. Sean Desai has been ready for that role for years. He was Vic Fangio’s right hand man for 4 years, & helped craft that defense to greatness. Smart, talented, knows ball and has all the credentials. All he needs is an opportunity— Sam Acho (@TheSamAcho) January 18, 2021
When asked to elaborate on what makes him such a viable candidate, Acho said “Desai is a spitting image of Brandon Staley. Brilliant defensive mind, scheme is out of this world.”
Desai was brought to the Bears as a part of Marc Trestman’s staff in 2013, and he was retained by John Fox and again by Matt Nagy. His coaching background has been with the linebackers, defensive backs, running backs, and special teams.
* Bears passing game coordinator Dave Ragone is still a lead candidate to join new Falcons head coach Arthur Smith as his offensive coordinator.
* The Bears have already announced twelve additions to the offseason roster by way of reserve/future contracts, and today the contracts from the practice squad players that they didn’t re-sign expired. Those contracts were for linebackers Mantio Te’o and Devante Bond, defensive back Sojourn Shelton, running back Spencer Ware, offensive lineman Eric Kush, and quarterback Tyler Bray.
What was your favorite memory of the Tyler Bray era?