While the NFL’s deadline to get down to the mandated 53-man roster isn’t until today at 3:00 p.m. Central, several teams have already begun cutting down their rosters, including the Chicago Bears.
One thing to keep in mind as teams are letting players go, is that any players with less than four years of service will need to go through the waiver wire, but vested veterans are immediately free to sign with another club.
We’ll update this tracker with all the latest news and rumors surround the Bears and their quest for their 2021 opening week team.
Rumor and Cut Tracker
The 53-Man roster is now set and you can see it here!
The full list of released players can be found here.
- Tarik Cohen to the reserve/PUP list (link)
- More cuts CB Teez Tabor, DL LaCale London (injured), CB Tre Roberson (injured) (link)
- More Bears cuts, CB Artie Burns, DB Marqui Christian, DT Mike Pennell (injury settlement) (link)
- ILB Josh Woods appears to have implied something on his Instagram. (link)
- Adam Schefter reports that the Bears released CB Desmond Trufant today.
- Tom Pelissero reports the Bears are waiving rookie WR Dazz Newsome.
- Wide out Isaiah Coulter going on waivers per Biggs.
- Arlington Hambright is getting released per Kevin Fishbain.
- Biggs has the Bears cutting OLBs James Vaughters and Charles Snowden.
- OL Tyrone Wheatley Jr., a converted TE, has been released per Biggs.
- Kicker Brian Johnson has ben cut per Biggs.
- CB Thomas Graham Jr., a 6th round pick this year, is gone per Biggs.
- Tom Pelissero reports the Bears will cut RB Ryan Nall.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Bears are releasing Riley Ridley.
- Bears placing OLB Sam Kamara on waivers per Biggs.
- Biggs has news that WR Jon’Vea Johnson is gone.
- The Sun Times’ Patrick Finley reports that RB Artavis Pierce is being waived.
- Biggs again with the report that OL Dieter Eiselen will be placed on waivers.
- I missed this yesterday, but DB Dionte Ruffin is getting waived per the Sun Times’ Jason Lieser.
- In looking over the Bears current roster, I don’t see DL Mike Pennel on their injured reserve list, and considering they placed him on IR on 8/24, I wonder if he was released with an injury settlement. Once the 53-man roster is announced later today there should be some clarification on this.
- Per the NFL transaction wire, the Bears made no official cuts on Monday.
- Rumor has it the Broncos have two former Bears’ cornerbacks on the trade block. There’s no way the Bears could afford them on their current contracts, but it’s interesting that Denver has teams asking about Kyle Fuller and Bryce Callahan.
- Brad Biggs Tweeted that offensive lineman Adam Redmond, tight end Scooter Harrington, and defensive lineman Daniel Archibong are all going on waivers.
- The Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs is reporting that the Bears have put wide receiver Chris Lacy on waivers.
Teams can start to add players back to their 16-man practice squad on Wednesday after the waived players go through the wire unclaimed.
Also, players that are injured that teams expect to return this season will need to go on the initial 53-man roster before being put on in-season IR.