NFL teams need to be at the 53-man roster limit by Today at 3:00 p.m. Central, but several franchises have already begun trimming their rosters. The Chicago Bears, a team that could be in the market for some depth-chart upgrades, could be scouring the waiver wire looking for help.
Vested veterans that are cut can sign with a new team immediately, but players with less than four years of experience will need to go through waivers.
We’ll track all the Bears' transactions and rumors right here as they ready their roster for the 2022 season.
Check out Chicago’s initial 53-man roster right here. (link)
And all their 8/30/22 transactions are right here:
Placed DB Tavon Young on Reserve/Injured.
Waived TE Chase Allen, WR Isaiah Coulter, DL Micah Dew-Treadway, OL Dieter Eiselen, RB Darrynton Evans, WR Chris Finke, LB DeMarquis Gates, DB Thomas Graham Jr., DL Sam Kamara, OL Lachavious Simmons, DL Charles Snowden, DB A.J. Thomas, RB De’Montre Tuggle and WR Nsimba Webster.
Terminated the contracts of OL Shon Coleman, DL Trevon Coley, DL Mario Edwards Jr., DB Davontae Harris, TE James O’Shaughnessy, QB Nathan Peterman, OL Michael Schofield III and DB Greg Stroman Jr.
- DT Mike Pennel has made the 53-man Bears roster. (link)
- Second-year corner Thomas Graham Jr. is being waived. (link)
- Bears are waiving UDFA tight end Chase Allen. (link)
- Receiver Nsimba Webster has been waived. (link)
- Wide out Isaiah Coulter and UDFA safety A.J. Thomas waived. (link)
- A flurry of reports has the Bears parting ways with corner Greg Stroman (link), linebacker DeMarquis Gates (link), and receiver Chris Finke (link).
- Bears also waiving OL Lachavious Simmons. (link)
- It is reported that veteran o-lineman Michael Schofield was cut. (link)
- DE Sam Kamara has been waived. (link)
- The Bears will release quarterback Nathan Peterman, but they plan to bring him back to the practice squad. (link)
- The Bears are waiving running back De’Montre Tuggle. (link)
- Defensive tackle Trevon Coley is reported to be released. (link)
- Corner Greg Stroman Jr. fired off a Tweet that makes it seem that he’s made Chicago’s 53-man roster. (link) But he didn’t...
- On Tuesday it was reported that Mario Edwards would be released by the Bears. (link)
- Adam Hoge is reporting the following cuts; wide out Kevin Shaa, center Corey Dublin, and safety Jon Alexander. (link)
- On Sunday, the Bears waived undrafted offensive tackle Jean Delance with a non-football illness designation.
Here is some info to keep in mind for release day.
A reminder as rosters narrow: all players that have been waived starting this past Friday and through this Tuesday's 53-man roster reduction are subject to waivers on Wednesday at Noon ET.— Field Yates (@FieldYates) August 28, 2022
They will not have the ability to be claimed or find another team prior to Wednesday.
Annual reminder that notable #NFL veteran players will be released this week so that teams can avoid the vested veteran contract guarantee that locks in if they make the Week 1 roster. Many will be signed back (or elsewhere), but on a week-to-week paycheck.— Spotrac (@spotrac) August 29, 2022
Wednesday at noon ET (11:00 a.m. CT) is also when teams can start creating their 16-man practice squad. This year teams can have up to six players on the practice squad with unlimited experience, and they can elevate a player three times before having to sign them to their active roster.
Wednesday is also when teams can place players on injured reserve from their initial 53-man roster, which makes them eligible to be designated for return. This year players on IR need to miss at least four games before they can return to the active roster, but teams can bring eight players off injured reserve this season.