The Chicago Bears did it! They hung tough, overcame some fourth-quarter mistakes, and fought back for a last-second victory against the Minnesota Vikings. That makes it four wins in the last eight games for Matt Eberflus' squad, but at no point in any of these wins have I been comfortable watching the Chicago offense.
There have been moments for sure, but there's a disconnect between quarterback and playcaller. Offensive coordinator Luke Getsy seems like he's not all-in on what Justin Fields can do well, and that makes it look like he doesn't trust his QB. It makes for some really odd game plans, none of which were as strange as his screen-happy attack last night. According to Next Gen Stats, 16 of Fields' passes were behind the line of scrimmage. He completed 14 of them, but that's a ridiculous amount of screens.
Check out Jeff Berckes and Lester Wiltfong on a new Bear & Balanced here, or come hang out with us live on 2nd City Gridiron at 6:00 p.m. (CT).
Here's our usual bullet point outline of Bear & Balanced.
- Intro: We'll both share some general thoughts about the game.
- Trench Tribute: This is our weekly pick for lineman of the game.
- Sweet Tweets: We're both active on social media — so be sure you're all following us at @gridironborn & @wiltfongjr — and we highlight one Twitter interaction/Tweet each week.
- Caught up in a numbers game: This segment has us featuring one number/statistic from the game that we found interesting.
- The Fields Report: We talk about quarterback Justin Fields before we take our commercial break.
- The 3 Bears: You all know the story of the Three Bears, so in this porridge-themed portion of the show, we give our picks for the Bear that was hot, the Bear that was cold, and the Bear that was just right in the game against the Vikings.
After we wrap up the podcast portion of the show, we'll stick around to answer any questions you guys may have from the YouTube comment section in some video-exclusive content.
You can also listen to the podcast version here or download it wherever you get your pods:
The WCG Podcast Channel is available anywhere you get your Podcasts, including platforms such as Apple, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Audacy, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Podbean, Audible, TuneIn, and many more!
2nd City Gridiron is our video home, so hit the link to subscribe and turn those notifications on so you never miss when we go LIVE!