We’ll track all the head coach and general manager vacancies here.
Teams looking for a new Head Coach
Carolina Panthers - Hired Dave Canales
Las Vegas Raiders - Hired Antonio Pierce
Los Angeles Chargers - Hired Jim Harbaugh
Atlanta Falcons - Hired Raheem Morris
Washington Commanders - Hired Dan Quinn
Tennessee Titans - Hired Brian Callahan
Seattle Seahawks - Hired Mike Macdonald
New England Patriots - Hired Jerod Mayo
Teams looking for a new General Manager
Las Vegas Raiders - Hired Tom Telesco
Los Angeles Chargers - Hired Joe Hortiz
Carolina Panthers - Hired Dan Morgan
Washington Commanders - Hired Adam Peters
New England Patriots -
- Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham is expected to be a finalist in Washington.
- Bill Belichick is out in New England.
- The Seahawks are moving on from head coach Pete Carroll. (link)
- The Giants and defensive coordinator Wink Martindale have agreed to part ways.
- Frank Reich will talk with Jags head coach Doug Pederson about joining his coaching staff. (link)
- On Wednesday morning, it was reported that the Bears have fired offensive coordinator Luke Getsy and QB coach Andrew Janocko... and that Matt Eberflus will remain. (details here)
- There’s some buzz building that the Bears are bringing back head coach Matt Eberflus. (link)
- Jeff King, the Bears Co-Director of Player Personnel, will interview for the Chargers open GM spot. (link)
- Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham has been requested by the Chargers for an interview for their vacant GM spot. (link)
- Some buzz that the Falcons are going to fire GM Terry Fontenot. (link)
- The Titans fired head coach Mike Vrabel. (link)
- The Washington interview with Ian Cunningham has yet to happen. (link)
- No NFL teams have requested permission to interview any Chicago assistants thus far.
- Now that Jim Harbaugh’s Michigan Wolverines have won a National Championship, will he finally make the return to the NFL?
- In an NFL Network spot on Monday, Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo said that there has been no final decision on Matt Eberflus and that the Bears are still weighing their options. They did indicate the most likely outcome is his return.
- The Commanders have requested permission to interview Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham and several others for their GM opening. They are full speed ahead in their searches.
- Washington requested head coach interviews with several assistants, including Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson. (link)
- The Raiders and Jim Harbaugh have a mutual interest. There is a slew of internal support for Antonio Pierce - whom Davis really likes - but Harbaugh is “at or near the top of his list.” (link)
- If Belichick were let go, the Falcons would be interested in him, and the Titans Mike Vrabel would be interested in returning to New England.
- The Commanders are interested in Jim Harbaugh and have already reached out. (link)
- Bill Belichick said he’s under contract at his Monday morning presser, and said he may move off some personnel control, implying he’s not leaving unless he’s fired. (link)
- The Panthers fired general manager Scott Fitterer.
- Washington fired head coach Ron Rivera.
- The Falcons have fired Arthur Smith.
- Bill Belichick gave no indication of his future in his postgame press conference following his Patriots loss to the Jets; however, Mike Florio reported that a trade is highly unlikely. (link)
- Plenty of buzz out of Atlanta that Arthur Smith may have coached his last game.
Here’s what’s happening with the interview process for open Head Coach positions pic.twitter.com/65141aqzUJ— Brian McCarthy (@NFLprguy) January 9, 2024
Sunday, January 7 - There are currently three NFL franchises that ended with interim head coaches, but with the 2023 regular season now over, there will undoubtedly be a few more head coaching vacancies.
On Sunday morning, several national insiders reported that the Chicago Bears intend to run it back with head coach Matt Eberflus, but we’ll see if their loss to the Green Bay Packers weighs on the franchise. At his postgame press conference, he said he’ll meet with management midweek to discuss.
There was a report earlier this morning that the Washington Commanders were planning to fire head coach Ron Rivera, and there’s been plenty of speculation surrounding the New England Patriots and head coach Bill Belichick parting ways.
Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh has been linked to several potential openings, but the most juice is on him jumping to the Raiders or Chargers if he leaves the Wolverines.